Thursday, December 27, 2012

Module 2 - Distance Education - Collaborative Interaction


After having watched both of George Siemens videos, I have to say that I agree with his view on the acceptance of distance education in the corporate and educational world.

I've chosen to reflect on collaborative interaction in distance education because I find the idea of collaborating and interacting online, rather than in person, fascinating.  

Acceptance of distance education by corporate America and educational institutions, in my opinion, is not a guarantee that all aspects of it will work.  Collaborative interaction with someone you don’t know who lives half way around the world, may not turn out to be what you expect.  Because these types of experiences are common in distance education, Jane Hart talks in her blog about how many corporations and educational institutions are looking for ways to bring ‘social’ interaction back into the mix to help rectify this problem (Hart, 2012, Aug 25).

Collaborative interaction has certainly evolved from students and teachers sitting in a classroom, to learning 100% online, with the help of electronic blackboards, blogs, wikis, and other tools that are suppose to connect students and help them learn to work together in the electronic, or cyber world, in which we live.  We also need to keep in mind that collaborative interaction is not a new concept, it's just the new buzz term.  According to Mark Guzdial's blog, he's been doing it for 10 -20 years in the area of computer-supported collaborative learning (Guzdial, 2012, Oct 16).  

The tools available to facilitate this type of learning grow in numbers daily.  Today, we can ‘connect’ from almost anywhere using our smartphones, tablets or laptops. As long as you can find a ‘hot spot’ you can log in and Skype a classmate, watch a lecture in real time, log into Blackboard and have discussions with classmates, create posts for your blog, or post work to your wiki for group review and feedback before going ‘public’.

Collaborative interaction and learning is here to stay. What corporations and educational institutions need to do is find better ways to make it work, and if it doesn't work in some areas, do away with it there.  The focus should be on using collaborative interaction where it has a higher rate of being successful.  


References

Guzdial, M. (2012, Oct 16). What I have learned about on-line

Hart, J. (2012, Aug 25). Facilitating collaborative learning: a

Laureate Education, Inc. (2008) Distance education: higher
education, k12, and the corporate world. (video). Baltimore, MD; Author.

Laureate Education, Inc. (2008). The future of distance education.
(video). Baltimore, MD; Author.

2 comments:

  1. Donna everyone around me does not have a positive mind about distance education. When I first started with my first online program I found it to be easier. I was able to work and still continue my education at the same time. The collaboration among my classmates was something that I found interesting. I do see a difference in that I collaborate more online with others than when I attended classes face to face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Latisha, I agree that not everyone is positive about distance education. What I find kind of amusing, is that corporate America is more in favor of it than educators! When taking an online course you are required to participate, but you also have time to think about what you are going to say, so from that perspective, I think it is easier to participate in an online class. In a face-to-face class it is more difficult for the less aggressive student(s) to participate, and so their mere presence becomes their "participation" in the class.

    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete